Our Merlot highlights jammy tart sweet huckleberry and compliments the crispy bacon component of this sandwich like a dream. The original recipe was pulled from Baking Bytes and modified slightly with the optional addition of shaved dark baking chocolate.
Bacon, cooked and drained
Brie cheese, thinly sliced
Soft sourdough bread
Shaved dark baking chocolate (optional)
Butter or oil
- If you haven’t already, cook the bacon. Set aside on a paper towel to drain.
- In a medium pan (big enough to fit both slices side by side), heat a little butter or oil over medium-low.
- Meanwhile, spread one slice of bread with huckleberry jam, and top with bacon. Add the shaved dark chocolate if desired.
- Arrange brie in a single layer on the other piece of bread.
- Place a lid (or a plate, or whatever you have around) over the pan and continue to cook low and slow until the Brie is melty and the jam is warmed through.
- Gently transfer the Brie slice on top of the other, and cook an additional 30-60 seconds so the flavors meld.
- Remove from pan, slice in half, and enjoy immediately.
If you don’t have huckleberry, any reasonably tart jam would work great; try raspberry, blackberry, boysenberry, marionberry, etc.